Pages

Sunday, July 5, 2026

The Aurian Chronicles Chapter 5: Money vs. Power.

 The morning sun shone brightly over a large five-story mansion. Darkness rolled his eyes as he drove through the massive plantation of coffee beans. "The man has enough money to buy some offshore island, but he wants it ALLLL in New York... Over the top... Over the top." He said as he pulled into a parking lot just outside the main entrance. Darkness went through his phone and extracted the pictures he took from the previous night onto a portable drive as he walked past a large bronze game. "Collect the money, in and out," he said to himself as he kept walking.





On the uppermost floor, a Young Italian man applied a lint roller to the sleeves of his white three-piece Italian tuxedo as he looked into a dark-tinted mirror made of Pure fine carved Onyx. He casually sat down at his Ebony desk while he waited to see Darkness. "Mmm, such a beautiful day! Let's hope this transition goes quickly," he said with a picture-perfect smile while a soft knock rapidly struck his door. "Come in! Come in!" He said happily, only to be taken aback as a young woman walked in wearing a blood-red sequin dress and black heels.


This woman had a creamy white complexion and a diamond-shaped face. Her red pupils locked on his ice blues as she glared at him. "AH! KARRYN! To what do I owe this unexpected intrusion?" He asked as he placed a Solid gold coffee thermos on a personal heater. 


Karryn smirked softly and levitated into a seated position out of her heels, resting her feet on Mr. Capryse's desk. "Tony tony tony.., It's been way too long... Seems like only yesterday I was making a deal with a young up-and-coming little brat in the crime world... Can you remind me what that deal was?" She asked as she looked across the table.


Mr. Capryse just smiled back at her, waiting for his Coffee to heat up, causing Karryn's own smile to turn to a sneer. "Well, allow me to remind you! I give you access to not only aura, but aurian knowledge... and YOU use that knowledge to grant me my aurian army! I see plenty of employees around this admittedly beautiful piece of real estate... But aurian enriched beings? I'm afraid you are in... Short supply." She finished.


The sound of bubbles slowly forming in Mr. Capryse's Thermos could be heard, causing him to gently pick it up and open it while he added two sugar packets to it before taking a sip. "About that... First off, you didn't give me Aura as part of our deal; you exposed me to it before telling me what it was." He said as he poured Karryn a cup without even asking her if she wanted one.


"Secondly, you tasked me with using the research you had from your own world... This 'Aurian Realm' if you will, which you won't even tell me the full name of yet... And expect me to just make you an Aura-powered army to use as you will. I'm curious, if it was that easy, why in god's name do you need me?"

"Listen here, you arrogant brat! Don't you DARE question ME! GIVE ME WHAT I WANT OR I WILL PERSONALLY-!" 

"You did this because you know perfectly well that if you just took a bunch of people to your home and gave them powers, they'd turn on you at the drop of a hat! But me? I establish loyalty where I can, and my wife, Saryn? She's FASCINATED with the human brain... I have indeed been using the knowledge you've given me... Capryse Coffee is my best-selling product because my Aura-enriched soil allows these beans to grow year-round with minimal care. I use the profits I generate to fund my Wife's endeavors, and we use the fruit of those labors to study who and when to bestow Aura upon." He exclaimed patiently.


Karryn's eyes narrowed as her nostrils flared, causing black and red flames to blow out. DECADES LATER, mind you! Your research means nothing if it takes this long to reap the rewards! All the other dimensions I have traveled have borne fruit by now... While YOU, Antonio Capryse, have nothing to show! I GAVE You all this wealth! I can burn it to the ground all the same!" 


Mr. Capryse smiled softly as he held out his hand, forming a crystallized comedy mask over his face. "I'm having a good day, Karryn, don't turn it bad..." He told her as spikes began to grow from it at the sight of red and black flames emanating from Karryn's now dark pink body. 


Before the first blow was struck, the door was forced open. Darkness slowly walked in and sat down in a seat across from Mr. Capryse's desk. "Alright, sir, let's get this done and over with. The wife texted me, says we got dinner later, you understand." He said as he locked eyes with Mr. Capryse, who had quickly made the mask disappear.

"Get out now, boy! This is between your boss and me!" Said Karryn as she threatened him with a black fireball. Darkness glared up at her. "Halloween isn't for a while now, I had an appointment... Now, be patient, and you can carry on with whatever this is when I clock out." He told her with crossed arms. 


Karryn gritted her teeth as she brought her hand back. "I'll teach you some respect!" She said as she threw a fireball at him. Darkness's eyes narrowed as his body turned black, stepping backward through the chair as black tendrils emerged from his back. "I suggest you take this temper tantrum outside, ma'am... I am NOT in the mood." He warned.


Karryn froze in her tracks at the sight of Darkness's powers. After a few minutes, her lips curved upward into a smile. "I see... Seems you HAVE been doing your task... Very well then, Tony, I am pleased with these developments... What is your name, boy?" She asked as she looked at Darkness. 


"Darkness..." He answered as he powered down and sat back in his chair. Karryn just nodded. "Darkness... I'll be keeping an eye on you. Knowing your closeness with Tony, I'll see about a job offer for you down the line... Until next time." She said as she walked out.


Darkness lowered his eyes as he turned to Mr. Capryse. "Are we going to discuss who that was?" He asked. Mr. Capryse just laughed and shook his head. "Perhaps later, but there's no fast explanation for that, and I believe you said you had dinner reservations?" He asked as he cleared his Desk.

Darkness just nodded and got his pictures ready to present. He had many questions to ask about who Karryn was, but he had been working his job long enough to know that every question he got answered would raise more questions, and he would prefer to get back home as quickly as possible.


As Karryn left the mansion, she smirked softly and took to the sky. "Well then, Darkness... Let's see what my very first knight is like." She said while preparing her watch. Before this night was over, she'd have everything she needed to wrap Darkness under her thumb, and if she had her way, countless others would join him.



4 comments:

  1. We can see that Mr. Capryse is a mam of wealth at the exterior of his grand mansion just as Darkness pulls up, in New York City no less. He's also a man who maintains his appearance with his lint roller and on his onyx mirror. The man certainly lives like a king.

    I absolutely love the lore of how Mr. Capryse grows his specialty coffee beans and am so flattered that Bastien and VH inspired you.

    I want to say that I love the banter between Karryn and Mr. Capryse. It's clear they know what buttons to push but I think Mr. Capryse had the upper hand on pushing her buttons more. It appears he is not holding up his end of the bargain until Darkness shows up and proves to be a formidable opponent and a force to be reckoned with. I love how that softens her demeanor and this is how she will recruit her army.

    Mr. Capryse is a fun character and loves toying with others and making light of everything. He reminds me of my Percy.

    Excellent work done, man! I am eager to see how this is explored more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You upped your game as a storyteller, man. I have to up mine. Thank you so much, and especially thank you for your guidance over the years!

      Delete
  2. I love how you introduced Mr. Capryse in this adaption! We get a glimpse at his wealthy lifestyle with his mansion and plantation of coffee beans, which seems to be how he made his wealth, or a front for something else! I'm curious what drew him to coffee, in particular! You can tell he cares a great deal about his appearance and is polished and refined, wearing a white suit, and how we see him maintaining it. He is bold and brave to wear white in this business! I love the concept of him using his Aura to grow his coffee beans, despite not being a plant-based power, it shows different ways in which Aura can be used!

    It seems he made a deal with a demon being Karryn (not sure if metaphorical demon, or literal) It seems there's a dark truth about the origin place of Aura and she ties into that somehow! My guess is her home and it's origin is from a metaphorical hell/other dimension that is hell-like, as it is established here that there are other dimensions in this story!

    But, Mr. Capryse isn't a fool and knows how to be sly and play the game, too, and Karryn doesn't like that! Don't play a player. I love their banter with each other. She thought he was just another pawn in her multi-dimensional chess board. And it seems she has stumbled upon another pawn in her game--Darkness! I'm curious to see what her plans are with Darkness and what her goals are with this army she wants to form! Something tells me she isn't fighting to defend against an evil force. Excellent job, dude! I like how you're taking your time to introduce diffrent characters and let them breathe and shine in each chapter and I look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! No she's not a literal demon... At least not in the biblical sense. But as the story progresses, I'll be getting more into Aurian culture! It'll be coming WITH The development of the characters this time, not against it.

      Delete